Sunday, July 24, 2011

A Sunday Miracle


April and Rhett spoke in sacrament meeting today. Dad really wanted to be there especially since this was Rhett's first talk since being baptized a member of our church just five months ago. I was extremely concerned about him trying to leave especially after Friday's exhausting trip down the hallway. He had only gone about 30 feet by wheelchair and was so exhausted that he collapsed in Uncle Tim's arms and was gasping for breath for several minutes.
I thought a trip up the stairs into the car and all the way to church would be enough to overexert him completely.
I couldn't eat all morning and just kept praying for angels to be with him as he attempted to make it to church.
I truly believe my prayers were answered.
Mom got Dad dressed up nicely in his Filipino Barong and slacks and he asked to wear the war veteran ring that Rosie had recently given to him. He looked so handsome.
Earl came over and lifted Dad from his bed to his wheelchair then he and Paul with the help of Dad's brothers, Uncle Jay and Uncle Tim carried his wheelchair up the stairs. Earl lifted him again into the car.
As Mom was wheeling Dad into the church building, Dad leaned back to "steal a kiss" from his sweetheart. I couldn't help the tears of joy that filled my eyes as he entered the chapel. After Earl got him situated in the back row Dad called for him. Earl hurried back over to see what Dad needed and he simply said, "thank you."
I whispered to Dad that every person in that room loved him and had been praying for him.
It was a beautiful meeting. I don't think there was a dry eye in the house as April bore witness to the importance of temples and the sealing ordinances performed therein. Especially when she addressed Dad at the end of her talk saying: Dad, I am so grateful that you are here; not just here in church today but alive and with us. We will only be separated a short time and then be reunited once again because our family is forever!
Rhett gave an incredible talk about missionary work and his conversion to the gospel. He too addressed Mom and Dad saying, "and to my mother and father in law, the world's most amazing missionaries, who never preached to me out loud, who never made me feel like an outcast because of my unwillingness to conform, I strive to be more like you, you are the closest examples to Jesus in human form that I've known in this lifetime, and as I accept this new role as a missionary of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, I will always do my best to represent our faith just as you always have and still do."
We whisked Dad out of there during the closing hymn and got him safely back into his bed. He has been utterly wiped out all day. He finally just woke up about five minutes ago and remembers going to church today and hearing both their talks.
We are all so grateful for the prayers each of you have offered on our family's behalf. Thank you. I am especially grateful this Sabbath Day for my testimony of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I have felt His loving arms encirling me and my family especially this week and undeniably today as I witnessed this miracle during church. I know that our family can be together forever and that when we endure our trials with faith, greater blessings await us in this life and the life to come.

3 comments:

  1. Earl you are amazing, and you truely had a miracle yesterday with all those angels helping you to get to church. It is so touching to see all the love that surrounds you. I pray God will keep you with us for as long as he deems necessary so that you can continue to inspire us. I know I need it. May you have a good day today. I Love You Brother, Warren

    ReplyDelete
  2. Earl and Susan, yes you two are amazing and so are your children. I read your blog weekly to keep updated on your health. I always let Scotty and Jon know how you are doing. I want to thank your kids for doing a great job keeping us informed. We truly miss seeing you in Tooele!! You have always been special to me from the day I met you two. I pray everyone's dreams come true by letting you get healthy and stick around for awile longer. I love all of the pictures that are posted. Take Care of yourself. Thinking of you always Earl, Love Joy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sitting at my desk at work crying because I truly believe this was a miracle. I was so glad to be able to see you last week and wish I could have stayed longer. I love you so much and am praying for more miracles for you everyday. Susie I've always thought you were the most talented and energetic person I've ever known. I love you a lot and am so glad Earl chose you to be a part of our family.

    ReplyDelete