Thursday, July 14, 2011


Dad has been feeling extremely tired lately and still in so much pain. His right eye is getting better but he can hardly open or see out of his left eye. His legs have given way twice this week and at one time April walked in to find mom and dad both lying on the bedroom floor because he had fallen.
He has officially started hospice again, only this time his doctor wants to stay involved and the new company will hopefully be able to do his transfusions from home. He received his hospital bed, new wheelchair and other things to make things a little easier for him. They have his new bed set up at the foot of his and mom's king size bed, but dad still asked mom if she would sleep by him in his little hospital bed last night, they are sooo sweet!
Dad's friend Bill came to get them today to take them to the VA and by the time dad got to the top of the stairs he was so exhausted, nauseous and had a bloody nose. When they got home Dad's knee buckled in the garage and it took six men from the ward to help carry him downstairs. It's so hard to see him so weak and so sick but he still wants to continue his fight and be here with the ones he loves.
He's had a lot of visitors this week and has been too tired to say much but I know he greatly appreciates the many people who take the time for him and for our family.
Thank you to everyone and especially to you mom and dad for your wonderful example of love and devotion to one another. We all love you so much!!! Keep fighting dad, for as long as you can and want to!!! You are amazing!!!

7 comments:

  1. Karen thank you for posting this update. Please pass my gratitude to Bill for helping dad with the VA stuff. What a blessing. And DAD - I love you so much! It's been hard not be able to "talk" to you on the phone the last couple of weeks. But I know you're listening when I talk and sing and I know you know how much I love and miss you. MOM - thank you for being such an incredible support to dad and the rest of our family. Keep it up and know that you are both in my continuous thoughts and prayers.
    Love,
    Nan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you so much Earl and Susie. I won't be up this weekend, but I will be there on the 22nd.
    Love,
    Dena

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your family has been so positive & strong. I hate that the one's we love have to battle ALL. Your family is such an example of the blessings of eternal families. I think of your family often and hope as we go through our own battle with cancer we can be as courgeous as your dad. I keep telling Avery, "She is one tough chick" I definitely think your dad is "One tough man"!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ***For those of you who don't know, my friend Amber's 5 year old daughter was recently diagnosed with ALL (the same cancer as Dad). She posted the sweet comment above.

    You can see her story at www.avery-j.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your family is always on my mind. It is incredible that he is such a fighter. Cheering you on from Las Vegas...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Earl, we love you and your family. Things pop up all the time that makes me think of the fun times we had as our kids were growing up. I was thinking of our backpacking trip the other day and how fun it was to hike at night by the stars and how Miles was sure that we were lost. What a fun experience. I guess I showed him. I saw a video that I took several years ago when you and Susie were over here eating and we were eating spaghetti. I didn't know until just the other day that you didn't really care for pasta. I thought that was pretty funny because you ate it at my house and never complained. And yes like someone else said in this post "You are one tough man" and we do love you and your family.
    Love Geri

    ReplyDelete
  7. Uncle Earl I love you. I wish I could be up there seeing you with my mom. Keep fighting. You are so strong.
    Love Rachel

    ReplyDelete