Monday, July 25, 2011

Behind Every Good Marine Stands A Beautiful Woman

Marine Corps Ball, Manila 1969
Many of you have asked how my mom is doing. Let me show you:
Despite being completely occupied by her full time job taking care of Dad--changing his bedding, feeding him, flushing his PICC line, dispensing his medications, addressing his needs, comforting
him, etc. etc. etc.--she has also managed to accomplish other amazing things on a day to day basis.
Flushing Dad's PICC line
She has somehow managed to tend her grandchildren, cook delicious feasts, sew beautiful creations, keep an imaculate house and grow a vegetable garden that could put farmers to shame.
Mom's sewing room
She built a waterfall and a stream with her bare hands from rocks and dirt that were discarded on an empty field near their house. She built two club houses for Rhett and Jayden that also serve as Dad's resting area when he makes it outside for fresh air and sunshine. And since she and Dad live in the basement, she has turned their window wells into beautiful gardens as well.
Jayden's outdoor clubhouse
In the last few days that I have been here, I have witnessed her energy first hand. I sleep in the bed next to her and Dad and I don't think she sleeps!
She doesn't go to "sleep" until after midnight. I hear her doing laundry in the middle of the night. She gets up to check Dad's linens. She tests his heart-rate and oxygen levels. She is awake by 5:00 in the morning doing dishes and vaccuming the floor.
I told her that most people her age (69) are going to bed at 6:00pm and taking naps during the day. She said she's like an energetic two-year-old who refuses to take a nap even when she needs it badly.
She doesn't leave Dad's side unless someone else is with him. Even with all these things she manages to do, he is her number one priority. I have also witnessed very tender moments between the two of them. I catch them gazing at each other often and giving each other enough kisses to make me feel like I need to leave them alone :)
My Dad is in good hands. The best hands. She wants all of you to know that she is doing just fine and she gives all the credit for anything and everything she's been able to accomplish thus far to her Heavenly Father who has blessed her with good health and strength and for letting her be His hands in taking care of Dad.

7 comments:

  1. Mom, you are amazing. I don't know how you still suck every minute out of the day and are so productive. You are really great. I don't know many people now matter what their age is who have your energy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom-you truly are an amazing and beautiful angel to both Dad and the rest of the family. It's incredible how much energy and strength you have in that petite body which allows you to serve with such devotion and determination. It's been such an honor and a privilege to know you and be around you. Love, Conway

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mom, you too are my hero. You are always there for all of us no matter how busy you are at the time. When are you not busy? I love you mom. I can't wait to spend more time with you and dad. You never cease to amaze me with your endless energy. I wish I had any of your talent, energy and intellect. You are an angel. I love you so much.
    Earl

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mom, I don't know how you manage to do it all. We are so lucky to have you as our mom. You rise to the challenge no matter what it is and always do an amazing job! You are so sweet to Dad, you two are true examples of what true love is. Thank you so much for your perfect example. I love you, Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope one day that my kids feel like I'm as amazing a mother as you are! How did I get so lucky! You are beautiful inside and out and I could not be more proud!

    I hope that as much as we've expressed our love to Dad lately that you also know that you are just as loved and that we appreciate all that you do for him and for each of us during this hard time in all of our lives. You and Dad are the greatest examples of love and compassion and service and hard work and I could go on and on...

    I love you so much and I think you are truly the most amazing woman I have ever met!!!

    Love you!!! Karen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your mom really does amaze me! When I've met her you can feel her energy. I still remember how beautiful Diana's outside wedding was! She had beautiful flowers, lights, amazing rock work, waterfalls & relaxing sitting areas. It was beautiful! Your dad & mom make a great match! (Diana, thanks for all your sweet comments on my blog. I love reading them)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love ate Susan, she's an amazing lady! I wanna be like her when I grow up!!! :-)

    Teena

    ReplyDelete