Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Hold your breath a little longer


Georgie is still small enough that he has babies breath. Every time I'm with him, I hold him close and smell him breathe. I don't want to miss that last time when he still smells like a baby.
I've been thinking about last breaths. The problem is, with all the breaths we take, how can we know which one will be last.
I keep holding my breath. I'm hoping that by holding mine, I can buy dad a few more.
I am also treasuring some breaths we have shared.
Like the time we all gasped, watching dad's axe juggling gone bad.
Inhaling yellow cake, and then savoring the fudge frosting.
I remember exhaling "Whoaaaa", while watching dad hit a softball that went sailing on forever, and chasing it across the alfalfa field with every kid in the neighborhood.



I could never catch my breath hiking with dad across little mountain and up to the Grimm's house.
Dad could have had a second job as a storm siren.
A short breath, pursed lips and two pinkies to the tongue, and every kid in Tooele county knew it was 5:15, and time to come home.
Dad's yawns literally shake the house.
Dad, you may not have known but what you did with your precious breath taught me a lot of what I needed to know. You sigh whenever you hear swearing. You never swear. In traffic you called everyone your buddy.
If you disapproved of something, you elongate the last syllable of our name. If you wanted us to come to you, you held the first syllable a little longer.
When we watched "The Gods must be crazy" Mom had to rub your chest make you breathe because you laughed so hard.
You laughed as if laughter was a song. In fact you could harmonize laughter. For instance, in a Charger. You would hit the gas, the car would hum deep, you would laugh low, Earl would giggle high, and the rest of us would belly laugh the parts in between.


My love of all things baby came from you. I can think of a hundred infants whom you held close, and rocked with your big barrel chest. It rises like ocean waves as you breathe.
You'll forgive me if I might miss the last breath, but I have many others that fill the place.
I wasn't there physically when you knelt across the alter from your sweetheart and gently whispered, "yes". With that you enabled our family to be an eternal unit. Many breaths since have affirmed you commitment, reinforced your love, and likely guaranteed that sealing could remain.
Hold your breath a little longer and buy me a few extra. I'll listen for your whistle and I'll be home soon.



I may not be a smart man, but I do know what INI IBIG KITA means

When mom and I worked at the sewing factory, I would turn around and mouth the words "I love you", she came up to my machine once and said "I love you too, Robert"
I replied, "I didn't say I love you, I said 'Olive juice'".
Mom retold the story at my mission farewell. In her version, my reply was" I didn't say I love you, I said 'Grape juice'".
Mom is known for her many talents and her boundless energy. Most people know is gifted with languages and is a dynamic public speaker.
At times she may get a little lost in translation,but she is fluent in expressing love and kindness.
One of her greatest gifts is that it doesn't matter what people say to her, the message she receives is that they love her. Even if that is not what people intend. She gives them the benefit of the doubt. No matter what they are saying, what language, what tone, she believes they are coming from a place of love. She doesn't think that because she is naive or dumb. . . She thinks it because that is how she thinks of others.
You know the primary song that says, "Jesus said love everyone treat them kindly too. When your heart is filled with love, others will love you."? Love is what fills her heart. There is no guile, nothing petty. if she knows you, she brags about you, if she brags about you, she loves you.

She is a great mediator too. If we fought, if we were frustrated, if we could not look each other in the eyes, she took the middle and made sure the final message in a fight was that she loved us, and we could love each other. She has an ability to help others hear lovingly, the way she does. There were times I would hear my dad elongate syllables in my moms name. I wondered if she was ever frustrated with that, but she didn't hear what I did. She heard "I love you" and responded in kind.
She doesn't get angry. There was an incident with wooden spoons, and Earl's butt, and the spoon breaking, but 1. Earl deserved it-2. Earl likes to get hit - and 3. They were both laughing.
With all the love she dishes out, does she have enough love left to be in love? Can she love one person above all? She can and she does! She is head over heels for dad. She loves the guy. There is no doubt about it. It would be hard not to understand when she says it and shows it constantly.
There is something she should know too.
Mom, read my lips,"katas ng ubas".



14 comments:

  1. From Mom: "Bob, you are incredible. You made us cry and laugh at the same time. Olive juice!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. And don't forget the big "aaaahhhhh" after a big swig of Pepsi. (He just did that.)

    Robert, we wish you were here but we know you are thinking of us and with us in heart. We can't wait for you to make us laugh in person. Rooooobert! See you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Robert, I have felt so much anxiety the last few days, but you just made me feel so much better. (I am sobing right now!)
    We love you!
    Love, April

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dad and Mom wondrous. You will never know how much you influenced my life in the short week we spent together at stake youth camp as a family. I still remember hiking to the camp and the days that followed. Other then my family, you are one of my favorite families. I love you daddy wondrous and the words of knowledge that came with your precious breaths. LOVE Pearl Wondrous(Emily Atkin)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful tribute to both your Dad and your Mom. Two mvery special people. How much in love they are, and how much love there is in your family. Yes it brings tears to my eyes, because everything is so true. How lucky we are to know and love the Rose family. I first met Earl when I was 13, and beleive me that has been a long time ago. And I first met you mom when Earl brought her over to our house (parents home), right after they returned home from the Philliphines, so that we could meet sue and get to love her, as much as he did.I was about 16. They have always been there. I didn't get to see them as often as I should have, but I always knew what was going on in all of your lives. Earl you are so very much loved by our family. Thanks for always being there. love all of you Barbara & Mer

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you weren't laughing and crying because it didn't make sense. Hopefully you read really fast, skipped over all the mistakes and understood what I meant and not what I actually wrote.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful tribute to your parents, they are a great example to all of us. I miss you all, and I love you all.
    Uncle Warren

    ReplyDelete
  8. Robert you are amazing! We understood everything you said, that's why we were laughing and crying. Love you.
    April

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been reading this blog my dear Diana and was always fearful to post anything because I haven't ever met your parents. But, I do know this, they must be INCREDIBLE people to raise a daughter like you. I still think about your sweet friendship and a voice that seriously amazed me. I am so grateful to have known you and I hope your parents will find comfort knowing that they did a job VERY well done by raising such an awesome woman! What an unmeasurable blessing to be sealed together forever. No matter when his last breath... you will hear and feel it again one day. Stay strong Rose family. Know that there a lot of us complete strangers out here praying for you. Praying for your hearts. Praying for your souls to find peace. Praying for Mr. Rose to have much needed strength! Love you much Diana!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So amazaing to watch your father go through his trial of life and how omnipotent his Heavenly Father has been to him and to you all. God knows all things. I'm so grateful for the medical doctors and nurses and the advancement in the medical field in the United States. Reading about your father has helped me grasp the journey of my own father who I wasn't there for his last breath because I was fighting for a chance for him to be brought here for treatment, but it was too late. I miss him terribly and I had had moments of anger and then forgiving to do. I admire your father for his strength and will; the Lord must have preserved him this long for a very special purpose only Him knows. Keep the faith and endure. Thank you for sharing your father's story and life with the world. We need to see him and his story. Though I don't know him very well his pictures are worth a 1000 words. Much love to your father and your family. Hugs.....................

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Big Earl, How are you ? Thinking about you and your family . Sure miss you all .. Take care of yourself , tell everyone hello , God Bless you and your family . You are in my prayers..
    Love and hugs,
    Cecelia & Elysia

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi The Rose Family! I just want you to know that your family is in my prayers. You guys are all so amazing, & reading this blog has me in tears. It makes you realize how precious life is. I always remembered Earl as "Diana's dad" which soon came to just "dad" that's how much you touched my life. I loved spending time @ the Rose home. Even though at first "dad" kinda scared me, but soon realized what a teddy bear he is. Your family is in my prayers & in my thoughts. Love you Diana
    Love Kara Bryant Smart

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Rose Family,
    One of my fondest memories of Earl was him video recording me and Paul's basketball games in highschool. After the games me and Paul would always go back to the house and watch the games. I remember vividly hearing how loud Earl and Susie would cheer anytime Paul did anything, but also how loud they'd cheer for me. That meant so much to me. When I was in highschool my father was very ill and rarely, almost never was able to come to any of my games. It was so awesome to have the support of such two amazing people during those tough years when my Dad wasn't able to be there. I spent many Friday nights sleeping over at the house due to a late night at a dance or an early morning practice the next day. Some of the best breakfasts I've ever eaten in my life were on those early Saturday mornings with Paul, Earl and Susie. Such an amazing family and I'm so grateful for the memories and love I've received from them and the entire Rose family over the years. Earl is such a strong man and I want him to know I'm grateful for him. With much love, Tommy Lowell

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a moving and touching tribute....Your family truly is a heaven on earth. I enjoyed looking at the pictures. I looked into Kuya Earl's eyes and I saw contentment and peace. God Speed and all of you are carried in the wings of prayers by many many people who have come to know and love your parents and your family as well as strangers who through this painful and trying time, found comfort in the strenght of your family, your faith and most of all, watching Love in Action....We love you..
    Rex , Rossana & Family

    ReplyDelete