Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Proven Warrior


Back in February of last year, we were told that Dad had a zero percent chance of surviving a spleenectomy. In November his cancer relapsed and he was given weeks to live. In March his chemo failed and we were told he had 3-4 weeks. A month ago the hospice doctor said that if Dad was alive in a month he would come over and shake his hand. Last Saturday we were told that he had anywhere from just a few hours to a day.

Despite what we have been told, Dad has miraculously managed to defy science by fighting and surviving.
Today Dad's sweet nurse pulled us aside to warn us that based on her experience and what she can observe, she doesn't think he has much longer. She doesn't want us to lose hope and she's not trying to "play God" by giving us a specific time, but she just wanted to make sure we weren't caught off guard if something should happen.
Well, I don't want to sound naively optimistic, but we have heard it before. It doesn't make it any easier, but we still have hope that somehow we can receive yet another miracle.
April asked Dad tonight if he wanted to keep fighting. He hasn't been able to say much today and he's been very tired but he responded to this question with an emphatic "YES!"
We know you'll keep fighting Dad. And we know that you can. After everything we've experienced over the last year and a half; and after all the courage, love, determination and fight you've demonstrated, you've proven yourself to be a true warrior.

2 comments:

  1. A Warrior that we should all take lessons from, faith,hope and love a some of the lessons we all can learn. Love you Earl

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was so excited seeing on KUTV that Harvard found a breakthrough for lukemia yesterday. I can't seem to find anything on it now, they will find a cure for this disease. Something about using your own blood to fight it. I seen Earl Tuesday and he looked good, his eyes where closed but he heared everything I said and we talked about Barstow, California. We would hitchhike home from there and then either fly back or take the bus. That was the days, late 60's. Then I went to Vietnam and he went somewhere else, for training to be a embassy guard. I was just a rifleman in A-1-1. I'm trying to learn Earl's family and I think I have all three girls now, the boys, I need to start on now. Hope you are all doing good and see ya again real soon. Keep me informed. To Earl my old friend (I'm older than him), take care and Semper Fi!!!!!

    ReplyDelete