Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Together Forever

I've been watching a lot of old home movies. I've been spending the last couple of days converting the VHS tapes to DVD. This morning I came across footage I had never seen before. It was December 9, 1990. We were all at the airport early in the morning wearing heavy coats and solemn expressions. Dad was getting ready to deploy to Saudi Arabia for six months.
It was a somber occassion. We walked with Dad through the airport; April with her arm around Dad and I had my arm around Mom. We sat in the terminal together not saying much but just together. Then it came time for Dad to board the plane. He hugged my grandma whose husband had passed away earlier that year, then little Paul, who was about to turn eight, stood on a chair to give him a big bear hug. Next he lifted me to give me a hug and kiss. He embraced each of his children in turn, giving us kisses, offering last minute words of counsel and farewell and very occassionaly wiping a loose tear that would escape despite his best efforts to stay strong. Then it was Mom's turn. They embraced for several long minutes, kissing and hugging and not wanting to part. All of us children (except Earl who was on his mission) were there watching and not saying a word as Mom and Dad prolonged the departure as long as possible.
And then he got on the plane and we all watched out the window silently as the plane took off.
As I watched this video with tears streaming down my face, I couldn't help but see the correlation between then and now. We all unwillingly prepare to say farewell, giving him as many embraces and kisses as we can, telling him how much he is loved, all the while prolonging that moment of departure as aggressively as possible.
I think about how hard it was for us to say goodbye for those long months he spent overseas. Dad missed Christmas and Paul's baptism, a few birthdays and taking Earl to the airport bound for Guatemala.
I was only a young girl but I can remember when Dad came home. I can still remember all the yellow ribbons and American flags that Mom hung in the yard. I can remember the Christmas tree decorated in red, white and blue and how we celebrated Christmas in July that year.
I'm sure there's a video I've yet to find of us greeting Dad at the airport when he returned. I can imagine the jubilation and celebrating that would be heard as he walked out of the gate to the screams of delight of his family. I'm certain we would see many tears of joy and endless hugs and kisses, and hear lots of laughter and story telling. The joy of his return far outweighing the ache of his departure.
Now don't get me wrong, I am not ready to say goodbye to my daddy. I do not want to have to give him that final embrace and I will gladly put it off for as long as possible, BUT I do know that there will come a day--it might feel like eternities until then as his misses Christmases and birthdays--but the day will come when we will be reunited. When the joyous celebration of our reunion will far outweigh the heartache and pain of his departure.
I belong to an eternal family. Tied together forever by the sealing power of the priesthood of Jesus Christ. It is thanks to Him that we are given the gift of Eternal Life. It is by coming to know and have faith in Him that we can receive confirmation for ourselves that this is possible. I have received that confirmation and I know it to be true. And I know my Dad knows it. Families are forever and we will be together again.
By the way, after sleeping for about two days straight, he woke up this morning and told me he loved me. He lifted his arm to give me a hug and was strong enough to keep me pinned to his chest when I tried to pull away :) I asked him how he is doing and he whispered, "I'm not complaining." He is not yet ready to say goodbye either.

3 comments:

  1. Going out of town for a while my friend. When I get back I'll come and see you again, even if it's on Tuesday and your getting blood. You sure do have the strength of ten men, fighting this disease. I'll have my cell phone with me. Remember the times you and Stutz took me to mutual for adults and they would ask me quesions, like 'how' founded the church. My reply was "I don't know". Those where the good old days that is for sure and wouldn't change them for all the tea in China. We sure had some good times back then. Well you take care and see ya next week. Semper Fi and my the Lord be with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad your family has been recording all these stories and triumphs. Beautiful posts; thanks for sharing with the rest of us. It strengthens us all...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Diana..Just got caught up on your dad's blog. Constantly thinking of you & your family! You are all brave warriors. Avery has always loved music and she'll sit my her CD player and sing along to all your songs. It's so cute! Thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete