Friday, August 5, 2011

God May Not Always Come When You Call...

But He will ALWAYS be on time.


I went to the hospital with Mom and Dad yesterday. Dad's platelets were low. Low is 115. Dad's were at 14. I witnessed what this looks like first hand.

He was admitted to his room around noon. By 2:00, his nose was bleeding; by 6:00, his shirt and sheets were covered in blood. The nurse started his transfusion at 9:00 PM.

Around 10:30, his nose was bleeding, his mouth was full of blood, the blood had dripped down and pooled in his neck and all over his sheets and I tried to clean him up. I used paper towel after paper towel but finally called the nurse for some help.

The nurse, her aid, my mom and I all worked to get the blood out of Dad's mustache and beard, out of his nose and his mouth.

Shortly thereafter, Dad was in a lot of pain because he was trying to go to the bathroom. His stomach was poking out on one side and it felt hard. My heart was breaking. I asked the nurse when they would be doing his soap suds enema and she said they wanted to wait until he had his platelets.

I gave my dad a big hug and kiss and left the hospital around 11:30. I never like leaving his side, especially when he is so weak and and hurting.

At around 1:45 AM my phone started ringing, I looked to see that it was my mom and panic settled over me. BUT it was Mom calling to tell me that our prayers had been answered. She was overjoyed because he had finally pooped! (She was especially grateful that this happened at the hospital so she didn't have to be the one cleaning up! Double blessings!)

She called me again around 2:00 AM just because she was so happy. She cried and said, "we tried everything, everything they could come up with and it wasn't until we asked everyone to 'pray for poop' that it finally happened. It's such a miracle! Please thank everyone for me!"

I just got off the phone with her again. They will be leaving the hospital in about half an hour. She said Dad looks much better and feels better but that he is very tired. She said that took a lot out of him (literally!). He is pooped out! (Sorry Dad)

Thank you all again for your prayers. They were answered! This is nothing short of a miracle and we all recognize that.

Alma 33:11 - And thou didst hear me because of mine afflictions and my sincerity; and it is because of thy Son that thou has been thus merciful unto me, therefore I will cry unto thee in all mine afflictions, for in thee is my joy.

3 comments:

  1. The crazy thing is that blood is a major bowel cathartic. So by allowing him to bleed and swallow a bunch of blood, that probably stimulated his guts to move. So the initial bleeding and then the bowel overture were both answers to prayer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Diana, this was truly a wonderful blessing and evidence of the faith that has been exercised in Earl's behalf. Also evidence of Earl's desire to be here with his family. Thanks also to all of you for keeping this blog updated, so that we who are far away can have a continuous stream of information coming to us as if we were there. Love you all, Uncle Warren

    ReplyDelete
  3. Catching up with the progress of your sweet dad, SO SO SO SO SO SOOOOOOO happy to hear that he was finally able to poop!!! What a miracle

    No matter how long your family has with your dad I know that you all are soaking up every minute with him. Your family continues to amaze me. Love you, Malia

    ReplyDelete