Tuesday, July 19, 2011

There is no such thing as an ex-marine


Let me echo and recognize what my sisters have said. It is amazing how Mary Kay, dad's nurse from the HCI has gone above and beyond her call of duty to help him and the family over the last day. We are indebted to her for the great service she has rendered our family. I think she and so many others have been incredible in the service and care you have given to dad and all the rest of us while he has been sick. I dont think it is coincidence that someone like dad or mom attract such great people to help them.

The last few days have been scary, and being far away is getting harder. I am counting the days until I move home and hoping that dad can hang on.

We talk about dad's service as a marine a lot because that is where he solidified his ability to fight. Dad made our household a marine household, he held true the motto and the commitment of his brotherhood. Semper Fi is his motto, Honor Courage, and Commitment are his virtues, and he has always personified the tradition of "first to help and first to fight"
As a family it has taken a lifetime for us to learn what dad learned in those short years as a marine. Two years ago the report was released in the final investigation of the attack on the american embassy during the tet offensive. The following comes from the report given to the Faculty of the US Army Command. It describes dads unit as follows:




The Marine Security Guard was a special individual. He was handpicked for the duty; which was, as it remains today, the most prestigious duty in the Marine Corps. The individual Marine was required to have a spotless background check and impeccable training record. Each man had to reach a high state of physical fitness and ―look like a Marine. Most Marines assigned to embassy duty were veritable ―talking recruiting posters.


The Attack on the American Embassy during Tet, 1968: Factors that Turned a Tactical Victory into a Political Defeat , O'brien



I read that to dad after the report came out. I was surprised by his reaction. He cried and looked at me and regarding his military service said, "I just wanted you to know that I was a good man." To me that seemed like an understatement.


Dad you are much more than a good man. You are the poster boy for good men. You have made it official again and again. You are not just A marine, you are THE marine.

May your guardian angels, both earthly and celestial continue to watch over you while you fight, and protect you and keep you, as you have protected and kept us.



11 comments:

  1. AMEN and AMEN again! I am so proud to be the daughter of a soldier and warrior. You were, are, and always will be my hero. You have taught us by example to be strong and brave and courageous. SEMPER FI! (I would salute you, but instead I'll hold out for a great, big bear hug.) - Nan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so proud that you are my father and so blessed that you are my daddy. Love you too much! Semper Fi!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thinking of you and your family. Please know that you are all in our thoughts and in our prayers. What a lasting legacy...
    Take care and know that you are loved, thought off and that you are on the wings of our prayers...

    Love,
    Rossana & Family

    ReplyDelete
  4. Earl I remember visiting you at the American Embassy in Manila. You really were the poster picture of a United States Marine, and I was proud to call you brother. I was proud to tell my companions when you visited me that you were a Marine and my brother. I am still proud to call you brother. I wish I could be there with you, but you know Gina is not feeling so well either right now and I can't leave her. I pray for your good health and I am hoping you can pull off another come back, but most of all I hope you can be comfortable and I hope you can continue to be happy and surrounded by your loving family. I love you. Your brother Warren

    ReplyDelete
  5. Semper Fi! Keep fighting dad. You are my hero and always will be. I have always been proud that you were my dad. You have always been a great example to follow. Big, strong and gentle. Everyone I know loves you dad, because you are such a great man. There is nothing anyone could say bad about my parents that would be the truth. I love you, Earl.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm in awe! What an inspiration. I could only hope to have an inkling of an impact on my kids like you've had on yours. Hang in there! Marcy Clark

    ReplyDelete
  7. Earl, I have always looked up to you and been so proud to have you for a brother. I've always wished to hear more about your service, but I know it's not something you are comfortable talking aobut. I remember you coming home on leave when we lived on 4th street. I had fallen down and scraped my knees. You were the only one I would let clean them up. You have always been there for me. You've dropped things and driven 3 hours to spend 2 hours with me and turn around and drive another 3 hours home. Susie has been a good/sister to me from the time you brought her home. I loved staying with you guys. I love you both so much. Please take care. Love, Dena
    PS Robert I would love to read the article of your dad's unit. Can you give me some info so I can find it? thanks love you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dena, and everyone else. Thanks for the notes. I basically can not stop thinking about dad for the last day or two. He really is a great man. If you copy the fine print just below the quote about the MSG, you can copy it just to google and it will pull up the full report. It is a great article from Major O'Brien's master's thesis. Dad didn't remember a lot of the detail, but it goes into major detail of what happened that day at the embassy. Thanks to unpopular opinion of the war in the press. Dad and those marines did not get the credit nationally that they deserved as heroes. You all should read the report. These men including dad and James Marshall were amazing. The MSG were not equipped for battle. By design they were only armed with side arms, usually revolvers with 6 round capacity and only 5 rounds loaded at anytime. The heavier fire arms had to be accessed after the attack had already begun. Somehow my wife has always been able to get dad to open up about his service. Thank Heavens that he and Earl bought that Corvette. Somehow if you put dad behind the wheel of that thing it would open him up and he would talk about everything. He is such an awesome guy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You guys are so awesome! I love you all! Earl and Susie have always been such great examples - even when we were young and didn't listen much! We pray for you always! love, Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  10. We love the Rose family! It was so great to know your family in Tooele, and our thoughts and prayers are with you. I feel sadness for this trail you are going through! May the Lord and his angels continue to give you the strength you need as you go forward. --Bruce and Terri Harper

    ReplyDelete
  11. Earl and family I am so proud of you all. I love to come and see Earl and then when some of the kids show up it is even better. Angel Kisses for you and bunches of love from my family to yours. XOXO linda & Howard

    ReplyDelete