Friday, July 22, 2011

At Home with Dad


I arrived back home in Utah yesterday morning and my first order of business was to cuddle up next to Dad. He squeezed me as tight as he could manage and gave me about a dozen kisses. I stayed right there next to him for the rest of the day.
He has been very alert and able to have short conversations with me and had much more energy than I expected. We have laughed a little bit and cried a little bit but mostly we have just enjoyed being together.
Mom is an incredible nurse. He had a fever yesterday and she quickly provided Tylenol and a wet washcloth for his head. She checked his oxygen levels and when they were low she adjusted his gauge. At one point during the day he had a splitting headache and she was right there dimming the lights and offering comfort and aid.
Our family has been incredible as well. Dad's sister, Aunt Dena has been here right by Dad's side as well. And Uncle Tim came over yesterday to help us fix the computers and reset the internet. Thank you!
We are all so blessed to have such a loving, supportive family. We are getting visitors, emails and phone calls with well wishes. Even our family in the Philippines has reached out to let us know that Dad is in their thoughts and prayers as well.
Another shout-out must go to my wonderful husband who stayed home with my two children. He wanted me to be able to spend time with my parents and help out without distractions. And thank you to all the neighbors and friends back in Hawaii who have reached out to help him with the kids. Mahalo!
Thank you everyone for your continued love and support. I keep my parents updated with your words of love and encouragement and they are both so touched by your support.
Last night Mom, Aunt Dena and I all slept right next to Dad. I think he really enjoyed the "slumber party". And we all just had a good laugh as the three of us women tried lifting Dad to move him. We made it about 2 centimeters before we all collapsed laughing. Mom then tucked a towel underneath him to use as a lever and we tried again successfully. Dad laughed that the 69-year-old was the one with the guns! He's right. Mom is a superwoman.

1 comment:

  1. So glad you're here with your sweet Daddy. Your mom is amazing, such an inspiration of love and tenderness. They're love is like no other. Your Dad, the fighter...our thoughts are prayers are with him every day.

    ReplyDelete