Thursday, January 27, 2011

Keep up the good spirits


April called me last night, and her voice told me all I needed to hear. I knew that the leukemia Dad has been fighting had relapsed.
I spoke to Dr. Gregg today. She is the oncologist caring for dad and she confirmed the news. Dad has been on Sprycel and for the last couple of months it has been keeping the cancerous white blood cells at bay. This week the medicine stopped working and the leukemia cells were back and high. Dad's platelet(blood clotters) are normal but they are dropping.
Since Dad has failed traditional chemo and the experimental chemo there are no more options for treatment.
Dad has taken this very much in stride. When I talked to him last night he was feeling very good. He voice was happy and he had all the optimism he has had through this battle.
He only has a few options, but if FIGHT is one of them, then that is what he will do.
He will still have the option to get blood transfusions if his red blood cells get low.
We know our time with Dad is precious and limited, but we recognize the miracle(s) that we have benefitted in receiving this year. Dad made it through a surgery he was given 0% chance of surviving. He responded to a therapy that had little chance of working.
So as Little Creed wrote in a card to Grandpa, "Good luck white blood cells".
Keep up the fight Dad, today we battle on, and every tomorrow we have will be a gift.
To those of you wishing Dad well, we thank you. Every prayer and every comment does help. It lifts us up a lot when all of you have carried a bit of our burden.

7 comments:

  1. I made the comment to Diana but I wanted to reiterate it here. I think that we have 3 choice in life. Are we going to be the Victim, Survivor or the Hero of our story. I think in these type of situations it is easy to become the Victim of cancer or just to survive it. But Earl has truly become the Hero in His story. He is a fighter and shows each of us each day how to live! Thank You Earl for your example in my life growing up and now. You truly inspire me and I'm so thankful for yours and Susie's examples in My life.

    Love Barbie Molgard

    ReplyDelete
  2. With God, nothing is impossible.

    Sorry for the double negative.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are amazing Earl! Diana told me how you still ride your stationary bike everyday. What an example you are for all of us. Your faith, determination and dedication to your family have always inspired me. Much love - Tiffani Stephens

    ReplyDelete
  4. We will continue to keep you all in our thoughts and in our prayers. Kuya Earl, you have been an inspiration of courage, of strenght and most of all of what love is. You are a great Father and husband. The source of your strenght is your immense love for your children. They love you so much and want nothing but the best for you. You Kuya Earl is a pillar of strenght and inspiration.
    Know that you are love by many who have come to know you and appreciate your great spirit. Like your bear hugs which you freely give, you have the strenght that exceeds the strenght of the armies of bears. We will cheer you on and follow your journey for as long as you find the strenght to keep going. God bless you and your Family Kuya Earl. I thought of this poem verse"
    Our Father tests us often, with sufferrings and with sorrows, He tests us not to punish us but to help us meet tommorrows.
    For growing trees are strengthened when they withstand the storm, and the sharp cut of the chisel gives the marble grace and form.
    So whenever we are troubled or when everything goes wrong, it is just God working in us, to make our Spirits Strong...
    Take care Kuya Earl and know that you are carried by the wings of prayers of those who love and appreciate you and the many many friends who think highly of you. It is an honor to be one of those whom you call friends, and to me you are and will always be a father figure.
    Love to you and your family
    Rossana

    ReplyDelete
  5. We love you all so much! Earl, you are in our prayers every night. We know how hard this is and we are really inspired by your story :) You are the best family ever!! Robinson still worries a lot about you too. He always asks me how you are. I'm so glad that you have this blogspot so we can keep up with everything. Thank you April for keeping me informed - I love you!!!
    Love,
    Robinson and Sandy Caceres and family

    ReplyDelete
  6. My dad and I were just talking how it was a year ago that he saw you all at St. Mark's while he was there with my grandpa and the things that have taken place. You are all amazing and continue to be the wonderful examples you have always been to us. Your faith continues to help mine increase. Keep fighting. You continue to be in our thoughts and prayers.
    Love Tiff Norby

    ReplyDelete
  7. Big hugs and kisses from your Hawaiian grandkids. Marley has been asking about you a lot lately. She really misses her Grandma and Grandpa.

    Keep up the good fight, Dad. You are my rock star.

    ReplyDelete