Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Looking for HOPE?


Two nights ago I was in the boys room putting them to bed and Creed was praying?
-"Please let it be a snow day tomorrow, please let it be a snow day tomorrow, please let it be a snow day tomorrow."
When he woke up, there was barely a trace of snow outside. He cried and cried
-"but I stayed up half the night with my fingers crossed. . ."
By midmorning a blizzard hit and they were sent home early from school. Today they have a snow day.
This morning, Mom(Jesusa) was kneeling and praying
-"please let there be another option for dad's cancer, please let there be something else we can do. . ."
By midmorning her phone rang. Dr. Gregg had just heard about a study that started LAST WEEK at the Huntsman Cancer Institute at the U of U. The doctor doing the trial was a leading leukemia researcher in Oregon who just came to Utah. He is testing a drug called Ponatinib. Ponatinib is a new drug being tried for patient with Philadelphia positive Leukemias like dad's cancer. It is for patients who have failed Sprycel. So far one patient has been enrolled in this Phase II trial. In phase I it showed positive results Ph+ CML and ALL.
We don't know if dad will qualify for the trial, but we hope he does.
We will contact the trial doctors and dad will be screened for eligibility. After that hopefully we'll get a chance with this medicine.
Of course, we'll try to hold our tears if things dont go exactly how we want. We don't know how far off the blizzard we are praying for may be. We may keep our fingers crossed half the night, just in case.
"Behold, you have not understood; you have supposed that I would give it unto you, when you took no thought save it was to ask me." D&C 9:7

5 comments:

  1. I've got my fingers and toe crossed. I hope you can do it Earl.
    I love you.
    Dena

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that if mom prayed hard enough, the Lord would help her move a mountain.

    I am continuing to have hope and faith. And I've been praying for a miracle; I HOPE HOPE HOPE this could be it.

    I Love you both so much.... thank you for your unwavering examples of faith and fight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so happy right now. I drove down the street screaming with excitement. I'm not ready to let you go!
    Love you dad!!
    April

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fingers and toes crossed. This is incredible news!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will be praying for you too! That is so amazing! I hope it works out!!! April - I can imagine you driving down the street and screaming! Wish I could have been in the car next to you!!
    Love,
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete