Sunday, August 14, 2011

Over the Weekend


Friday night after everyone had gone to bed, Dad and I were still awake. I was able to get some precious one-on-one time with him.
I asked if he were strong enough to give me a hug and he said, "I always have enough strength for that!"
After a great big bear hug he said, "thanks for loving me so much." I told him it was pretty darn easy.
Since we didn't get a chance to have family prayers before everyone went to bed I asked Dad if he'd like to say them with me. He said he would and then asked me to please forgive him for not kneeling.
Robert arrived on Saturday afternoon and we were all so happy to see him. Especially Dad. After a long embrace Bob thanked Dad for holding on for him. Dad responded, "You are definitely worth sticking around for!"

Before Earl left for St. George he was able to take Dad for a ride in his Corvette. It was a struggle getting Dad into the car but after a long ride he returned to tell us it was well worth it!

On Saturday night Rhett and the boys came home with a new dog. Dad had been expressing a desire for a lap dog and he was happy to meet Shadow, the little Border Terrier, last night.

Dad has been very tired all day today. We've been trying to talk to him tonight but he is having a hard time responding to us right now. Mom is cuddled up next to him in his hospital bed and as always he is surrounded by people who love him.

I can only hope that one day when it's time for me to look back on my life, I will be surrounded by a family who loves and adores me. That my children will be there holding my hands and rubbing my feet. That the friends I've made along the way will check in to say hello and ask what they can do to help. And that when I tell tell them all thanks for loving me so much they will smile and say, "it's pretty darn easy."

3 comments:

  1. What a sweet loving post Diana! I love reading your blog....its really inspiring!
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the blog too! It is so nice to read about how things are going. I really love all the pictures! You guys are so awesome! Earl, you are so inspiring! We love you all!!
    love, Sandy and family

    ReplyDelete
  3. The church presidents message this month is on family. This family is as close as you can get, they really love each other. In times of trouble you need the family support that is for sure and the Savior I'm sure is smiling from above liking what he sees. I hope you are all doing good and as soon as school starts here and the kids are in school I'll have some free time and come see Earl again. Next Monday I have a VA appointment. I love knowing all of you and Earl, keep fighting. Semper Fi!!!

    ReplyDelete