Friday, November 26, 2010

A Message for My Daddy, from your Baby Girl

Dear Dad,

Every memory I have of you and with you brings a smile to my face. Sometimes I was obnoxious, sometimes I was selfish and sometimes I was clueless. But you were always forgiving, always understanding and always loving. As I fondly reminisce about our wonderful father/daughter relationship, I realize and appreciate that I had the best childhood with the most wonderful, patient and kind daddy.

You were always proudly sitting in the audience with a tear in your eye every time I sang God bless America.

You always let me tag along as you went to Gary’s house to work on your computer.

You let me sleep next to you when you rested during the day while working graveyard.

When I came home and announced that one of the boys at school had asked me to go out with him, you told me to tell that boy I already had a boyfriend, my father.

You used to come to girl’s camp every year. I loved having you there with me and so did all the girls. You hiked with us, filmed our cheesy skits and songs, played the National Anthem at the crack of dawn and always helped us feel safe.

I remember that anytime you got new speakers or a new TV, you would test the sound by playing the opening scene of Top Gun full blast.

I was nervous on my baptism day, afraid that my toes would come out of the water and I’d have to go under again. So you stepped on my feet to make sure I'd stay put.

You said things like, “You make a better door than a window”, and “sounds like a personal problem” and “how about a knuckle sandwich?” and “humbug” after a long belch.

You’d always leave a dollar or two on the table so I could buy a snack at lunch.

You let me hold on as you took me for a ride on the three wheeler.

You made the best breakfasts when we went camping.

We had a daddy daughter date where we had to eat our dinner off household items instead of utensils. I remember you refusing to eat a donut off the handle of a brand new plunger.

You encouraged me to keep believing in Santa Claus.

You always made Christmas the best holiday in the world.

You came to my soccer games even though you hated soccer.

You drove me to St. George when I started college.

We had road trip traditions: beef jerky from Thompson’s and squeaky cheese from Delta.

You always filled my car with gas and checked the oil.

If I ever had a car problem, you would immediately drive the four hour trip to rescue me and fix my car in St. George.

You watched me drive away for california. And you checked in with me along the way following my progress on a map online.

You told me I could always come home.

You gave me a beautiful father’s blessing on my wedding day.

You drove to California on several occasions to visit me.

You were there when my children were born.

You introduced me to NCIS.

I am leaving tomorrow. I wouldn't be able to go all the way to Hawaii unless I knew you were doing well. You are strong, you are a fighter, you are a survivor! I know at this point it's all up to you. You have defied odds, you have proven doctors wrong, you have survived! And I know you will continue to fight.

As I get ready to leave, I savor your hug, I applaud your success and I fondly reflect on all these wonderful memories and the ones to come.


I love you so much Daddy. See you soon,

Diana




No comments:

Post a Comment