Sunday, November 28, 2010

A Good Day

I called dad this morning and asked how he's doing and his reply was, "I woke up so it must be a good day!" I'm so glad that he has such a great sense of humor throughout all of this.

This past week was very exhausting for him. He had two doctor appointments and two trips to the hospital. His blood transfusion took nearly 7 hours this time, which is longer than he likes to be gone for one day.

He usually has a lot more energy after his transfusions, so he was hoping to feel good enough on Thanksgiving to go to Earl and Tifiny's for dinner. By the time he got showered and ready to go, he was feeling to shaky and tired. They ended up not being able to join us but their sweet Relief Society President brought them both a wonderful Thanksgiving meal. They said they ate until they just couldn't eat any more. Rhett also brought them each a big plate from our dinner for them to eat later. I have to say though, it just wasn't the same without them. Even though the house was packed, it felt empty without them there.

Today I wanted to make them Sunday dinner, so I cooked a turkey all day long with stuffing and the works. Walking into their house this afternoon I went to open the door and SPLAT!!! I dropped the turkey all over the garage floor! I felt terrible! Mom had the table set so beautifully and dad was hungry and ready to eat but they were so optimistic, they weren't worried about it all all and kept telling me that dinner will be just fine, and it was. We salvaged whatever didn't touch the floor and we had more than enough for everyone that was here.

Well I think dad is doing pretty good considering his doctor told him 6 weeks ago that he only had 3 weeks to live. Even though he is extremely tired, he manages to exercise every morning (which is more than I can say for myself... and I'm not sick). Like I've said before, he is amazing!

I hope with each week that he continues to get better and better. Thanks again for all of your prayers and support.

Love, Karen

2 comments:

  1. That is so sad about the turkey, Karn! I'm laughing and feeling sad about it all at the same time. Sorry we missed out (Travis is pretty sick). But, we love you all and miss you. Hope you had a good birthday, Karn!! See you all soon. Hang in there, Dad! You're so tough!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, so sad about the turkey! I miss you all already. Especially mom and dad. Love you guys so much.

    ReplyDelete