Thursday, November 4, 2010

BIG EARL, LITTLE EARL AND THEIR CAR


My dad is my best friend. We have always shared a love for cars. He is a Mopar man. The time we spent working on our cars when I was young are some of my fondest memories. If you could look at family pictures growing up, you would notice that we are all in front of one of Dad's cars, as they were as much a part of the family as anyone else. If we could, we would buy another 68 Hemi Charger. That is our dream car that we once had. Since a 68 Hemi Charger now costs more than a house, we will just fondly remember the sound of that Elephant engine sucking air from 8 barrels of carb and the distinct idle the Monster made. I loved to sit in the car and feel it shake. I dreamed of the day when I turned 16 and I would be the one behind the wheel. Little did I know that when I turned 16, my sweet dad would turn from Mr. Mopar to a Subaru lover. My dream was just that. About three years ago, Dad had a wonderful idea. He knew how much cars brought us together. I love talking cars with Dad. I could sit and talk forever about cars with my Dad. Dad's idea was a car for the two of us. We thought maybe another Mopar. Maybe a new Challenger. We were looking around and this beautiful Z06 Corvette caught our eye. We took it for a ride and we were now Corvette guys. This car was loud, powerful and freaking awesome. Dad could not get this car out of his mind, no matter what else we looked at. I had never really been that into Corvettes, but this was different. We had to have it. Though the car has been in the shop more than not, it is our car and it is the most beautiful Vette on the road. Dad added a little power to the girl. STS twin turbos! What! This thing is not only one of the most beautiful cars on the road, but one of the loudest, fastest cars on the road. I can hear Dad coming to visit from a mile away. I loved hearing him get on it when he pulled out onto the highway, then he would call me to ask me how it sounded. Oh, I love my dad. He knows how to make me smile. He is never concerned about himself. This car was his plan to bring us closer. It worked. We broke down in it a few weeks ago and it was great. I was with my dad and that is all that mattered. April had to rescue him because he didn't think he needed his oxygen. He didn't plan on being broken down in the middle of 90th South and I15 during rush hour. Today we watched as a tow truck hauled it off to Riverton Chevy, where it is in good hands. The guys there wanted to know how Dad is doing. One of the service managers almost cried when I told him about Dad. Everyone who knows my mom and dad can't help but love them. They treat everyone like gold. Anyway, I can't wait until my dad and our car are both out of the shop. I can't wait to go for a ride Dad. I want to be the one in the passenger seat. I love you Dad.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Rose Family , I am truly sorry for what you are all going through. Your family is an amazing family that has touched so many lives. I remember looking at your parents and feeling and seeing the love that they have. It is incredible. I pray that you all know that you are loved and there are a lot of people that are here for you. Your in our prayers and we send lots of love. God bless all of you. Holly Cisco and family

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Earl...Glad top hear you are doing better..... I guess when you are better you will have to see if indeed your Corvette is fasdt...You know I have been a car person over the years and also the trips in my Grand National we made to SLC on several occasions. (Amiga days at Armadillo Brothers) ,,I now have a 2008 Shelby GT500 (yeah a Ford) never would have beleived that.... I would post a pic but not sure how to do that on this post...
    Hang in there I know what every one is going thru. Been there.... Gary

    ReplyDelete