Friday, February 19, 2010

...not a sprint but a marathon

We just got back from a consultation at LDS Hospital with dad's bone marrow transplant doctor. I guess we weren't quite prepared to hear what a rough and rocky road we are all in for, especially dad. A bone marrow transplant is a necessary evil at this point because we want him to beat this and without the transplant it will not be possible.

To summarize what the doctor told us: 50% of bone marrow transplant patients survive the procedure. We all know that dad has already beaten all odds so this to us is just another bump in the road. We know that with all your prayers and dad's fighting spirit, he will conquer this obstacle as well.

Most of dad's siblings were tested today and it will take 2 - 3 weeks to see if any of them are a perfect match for the transplant. Once the match is found, he will go to LDS Hospital for 4 - 6 weeks for the transplant and the recovery period which could include several adverse side effects.

Thank you so much to supportive brothers and sisters for their willingness to help their big brother by "loaning him their immune system".

We are so very grateful to all of you for your constant love, support, prayers and comments (dad loves those very much).

We love you all!!!

5 comments:

  1. I'm so pleased you have a wonderful support group. Fighting cancer is much easier when you have a small army behind you. Positive thinking goes a long way; my brother-in-law is an amazing example of positivity and a bright out look despite his stage 4 cancer. You are among our long list of people in need in our prayers. I believe Heavenly Father picks the strong ones for the big challenges; he has a plan for you. Positive thoughts & good health news to you!

    Love,
    Carrie and Jonny West

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry I couldn't make it up there today Earl. You know I would have been if I could. Let me know who I need to talk to, to get the kit sent down to me. I need to get my yearly blood test so I can get it done at the same time. I love you. Hang in there.
    Dena

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Daddy,
    I'm so glad I have been able to be so close to you these past few weeks. We're so excited to have you and grandma home for a little while!
    Keep fighting hard. You are so strong. I love you so much.
    Nan

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always thought as the Rose family as a bunch of people who passionately love each other. When entering your front doors during my high school years, I knew I would always find peace, compassion, and genuine care for one another. I look up to your entire family, and credit such an amazing bond to two wonderful parents. Your love is always unconditional and I only hope I can make my family what you've made yours. Good Luck in this battle that stands ahead of you. I know you'll come out with flying colors. When I think of "Diana's Dad" I think of a strong but gentle giant. You've survived so many things already, I'm sure you will attack this one head on too! All my love to the entire Rose family. We're praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome home Mr.Rose,

    I have prayed & prayed for the day your family would bring you back home and be able to embrace that very moment. As for all of us that have supported you & your family through the battle thus far. I will continue praying for a full recovery for I do believe in the power of prayer. That along with the love, strenght and faith of your family will see you through this storm. I now have one more wish for you outside the obvious that is. If everyone who reads this a believer in prayer or not. For the sake of hope, bow your head even for a brief moment and ask for a full recover for this man. This man who would do anything for anyone and would treat you as one of his own family members while doing so. Provides a place that is not only welcoming but safe. As described, "A STRONG GENTLE GIANT"
    Well stated Marcy Clark.

    My love & prayers are with you!
    Robyn LeBreton

    ReplyDelete