Sunday, February 7, 2010

My Strength, My Hero, My Dad


Last night was the scariest night of my life! It was one thing to learn of dad's cancer, it's another to see him in pain everyday but to hear the doctors say that he probably won't make it through surgery were the worst words I've ever heard in my life!

When I learned of dad's lacerated spleen and saw his body all bloated and the pain that he was in was very very difficult. When I thought it was our last few moments with my dad, I was at a loss for words. They were worried that with all of his internal bleeding, he would bleed to death. To see the fear in his eyes and my mom's and to feel her trembling with fear of losing her sweetheart, I was heartbroken and felt extremely empty.

The OR staff were working very fast to get dad into surgery and told us to grab our cell phones and computers so that dad could say goodbye to all of his kids. I've never felt so helpless and scared, wondering if I'll ever get to see my dad alive again. We didn't want to say goodbye and hugged eachother very tight and bonded closer than ever as a family. Mom and April ran down the hall as they were wheeling him away to tell him that "Families Are Forever!"

The waiting room of the ICU starting filling up very fast. With all of his kids, his mother and most all of his siblings either here or on skype, we formed together a big cheering squad for my sweet dad. We not only had family prayer but I could see many of us pleading with Heavenly Father to help dad to make it through the surgery.

We were all nervous and scared awaiting the doctors arrival to let us know how the surgery went. They had prepared us for the worse but we'd all hoped and prayed for a miracle. If there is one thing I know, I know that I come from a very strong and faithful family. We believe in faith, miracles and the power of prayer. Aunt Dena brought dad a plaque that says "Where there is hope there is faith; where there is faith miracles can happen."

I feel that dad was surrounded by Angels in his operating room. He was stable and did great during the entire surgery. When his doctor walked in and said "everything went great" his cheering squad roared with joy. Mom could not wait to run to his room and make sure he was really alive. They told her she couldn't go in yet, but dad was able to look over at her and smile.

We all love you so much dad! You truly are my strength, my hero and I'm so very proud that you are my dad!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Dear Papa,
    We hope you get better and can come home soon! We miss you!
    Love, Aidan, Allee and Coco

    ReplyDelete