Sunday, April 3, 2011

Home With Daddy


I was planning on waiting until after Marley's birthday and birthday party to come home. But as Karen mentioned, after Skyping with Dad on Sunday (he looked extremely weak and tired; and was falling asleep as I was talking to him), both Conway and I agreed that I needed to come home right away.
So Cohen and I took a red-eye on Tuesday evening and arrived here in SLC on Wednesday morning (Marley's 4th birthday).
We landed at 7:30 am so my dad was still sleeping when we got home. Cohen and I both crawled into bed with him and I wrapped my arms around my sweet daddy, lay my head against his chest, and fell asleep to the sound of his precious, beating heart.
I have been so impressed with him since I've been here. He is obviously exhausted but I have seen him ride his stationary bike despite the fatigue. He has no appetite (he has lost 18 pounds since his doctor's appointment less than two weeks ago), but still forces himself to eat an orange or a sandwich at our request.
But he is in good spirits and even manages to laugh when we crack silly jokes or when Mom parades around in the new high heeled shoes he bought her for Valentine's Day.
The two of us have been enjoying one of our favorite pasttimes: watching NCIS marathons on USA together and believe it or not, he looks GREAT! If you were to come see him right now, you would agree. I like to think that my presence has been just what Dad needed this week. (I am his baby girl afterall:)
As I write this, Cohen just gave Grandpa loves and kisses and my dad just said to me over his shoulder, "I love you sweetheart; I'm so happy you're here."
I miss my daughter and husband in Hawaii so much it hurts.... But that last statement from my daddy is exactly why I am here and why it's worth it.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Earl, I loved the eye rolls Sunday. You have a wonderful, funny wife. I love you both so much. I measured and will be able to fit the organ in the truck, now I need some strong bodies to put it in and tie it down. And get some good weather so I can bring it up. If I can't do it sooner I will definately bring it up on the 30th when I come up.
    Love,
    Dena

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so JEALOUS of you! Kisses to all my nephews and any nieces who happen to pop over.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aloha all the way from Hawaii,

    The Young Women and Presidency of the Kalaeloa Ward, Diana's extended family :)would like to say Mahalo for allowing your daughter to be with us. She is an awesome person and brings an amazing spirit when she's around. We wanted to let you know that even though we are miles away, we keep you Brother Rose and your ohana in our hearts and prayers in hoping that all will be fine.

    We've heard so much about you from Diana. About your wonderful spirit, your strength to not give up, and your courage in all that you do. I admire that, we all do! We love you dearly and will keep you in our hearts, minds, and prayers!

    Aloha mai kakou,

    Young Women of the Kalaeloa Ward

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello to both of you Earl and Suzie, We have wanted to call you but we have lost your phone number. Sorry we haven't kept in touch.
    we Love you Eleanor and LaDell

    ReplyDelete