Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Today was a tough day for us, we met with dad's doctor and nurses up at the cancer institute and they confirmed that dad's trial medication is no longer working. They wanted us to decide as a family what we want to do as far as treatment for dad.

They said that they can continue to treat him by giving him a drug that will "hopefully" help control his white blood count along with a steroid, and blood transfusions as often as he wants. The other option would be that he have hospice care and they will come in and keep him comfortable.

Dad says that right now he really feels like continuing treatment with the team at Huntsman. They have taken such great care of him and are very compassionate people. We unanimously agree that as long as he can, he should get treatment.

We are very grateful that he has fought as long as he has and that he has never felt like giving up. What an amazing man! We are so blessed to have such a wonderful and loving father and can't imagine our lives without him in it. I personally am glad that I have been able to spend nearly every day this past year with him and that my boys know their grandpa. We love you so much dad!!!!!!!!!

3 comments:

  1. I remember the day I left for California; I stopped at your work at the Army Depot on my way out of town. you gave me one of your famous bear hugs, a cell phone for emergencies and told me that I could always come home. You checked my oil and my tire pressure, made sure I had a full tank and wiper fluid. You had tears in your eyes as I drove away. I could see you standing there in my rearview mirror watching me until I was miles and miles away. It has been so hard for me to be the one away from home. This year has been the hardest of all. At least in California I was just a road trip away and you were always there whenever I needed you. But Hawaii is so far away and I've never wanted to be home more than I have since you got sick.

    But it has been so nice talking to you on the phone nearly every day for the past year, or Skyping with you in the hospital and at home. The last trip I took home for grandma's funeral was so precious for me. The time you and I spent together was priceless.

    I hate that I'm not there. But I promise I will be there soon. Please be strong and Hang in there. I love you so much dad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Earl,
    We were just checking up on you this morning. You haven't let anyone tell you how to fight this thing or what your limitations are. Keep fighting. There are a lot of us praying for you! Love, Max & Bette Molgard

    ReplyDelete